Revolutionary Thoughts by Way of Dan Brown and David Crowder (Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, but Nobody Wants to Die)
So, my mom bought me the new Dan Brown book Inferno for my birthday and I found something just simply stunning. Originally I thought about just tweeting it, but then I came across a few points that went along with it, and compounded when hit a certain phrase in The Lark Ascending by David Crowder*Band
The Dan Brown quote is: “Someone needs to fight this war, or this is our future. Mathematics guarantees it. Mankind is hovering now in a purgatory of procrastination and indecision and personal greed…but the rings of hell await, just beneath our feet, waiting to consume us all.”
(I bolded the part for emphasis for the next point.)
I find this amazing only because it’s true. In the book, he’s speaking about overpopulation and he’s planning on killing like 3 billion people I think (PARTIAL SPOILER, only because I’m unsure), but the part about the indecision and personal greed, it’s true. We’re rudely hoarding money because of the uncertainty that comes with tomorrow, even when we aren’t promised that! Some say we’re even selfishly living longer. The fear of losing everything is horrifying indeed.
And this greed, only working to serve our need to move on, and yet, continually holds us back. It puts the burdens of hell just underneath the soles of our feel and has us looking down, out of fear of our bodies’ eventual destination.
That brings me to the David Crowder portion of the post (forgive the consistent fangirling, but he is awesome and that is what I was listening to while reading this book.)
In the The Lark Ascending, Crowder is being interviewed by Andy, and thanks to SongMeanings, I have this lovely snippet:
David: Did you ever notice that the sky is all the way to the ground?
Andy: Wait. Hold on. What?
David: We’re walking around in it. We’re in the sky. There is sky and there is ground and we’re somewhere in between. That is where we live. And sometimes some of us take wing and when they do, when their feet leave the ground, even for a second, they pull the rest of us with them. And when we rise, and when we rise, and when we notice that the sky has been around us all along. We have been walking into it. It has been this constant collision. Divinity and depravity. And we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise and we rise…
This is significant, and it’s very hopeful.
Imagine, that while alive, we do these amazing things and people ask why we have this happiness and joy and then they find it themselves through us. And we bring to not worry about tomorrow or about this life, but others around us and the next. And when our needs are not even woefully and consistently worried about for the sake of others and humanity itself. We take wing and bring the rest of humanity with us.Even for the fraction of eternity that the average 70 years we get.
And even after that. Even after we die, we celebrate these people’s lives and put their body into the ground, and thought it may not physically help others out anymore, the stories these people leave behind, they never stop helping people take flight and one day live with us in the sky. In a sense, those people never die.We live on in Heaven and in the stories told on our behalf.
It’s the beautiful collision.
Words cannot describe how much love I have for Daft Punk’s new album.
Expectation (or A Diary of a Mad Man)
Ever feel like you gotta please everyone in order to keep the peace, fully knowing that someone is gonna be let down? Striving for something just not possible? It’s rather difficult to comprehend, much less remedy. But, let’s run through the laundry list, shall we?
Long story short (and a quick little Mother’s Day story): my mom has always said that I have the most sense in the family (not like I use it.). Compliment aside, it comes with many griefs when you have a family member who just walked out of a 3rd job in a year, 2 or which pay twice as much per hour as yours, one who’s health is slowly but surely going down the drain, another who is losing his mind (other than myself), and two more who will ask you to do easy stuff and bite your head off for little things (when I got my first tat, they didn’t talk to me for 3 days. I have yet to show them the other.) and won’t follow through on the smallest stuff.
And then there’s me being broke because 500 dollars (total) in a month’s time to get back the truck…TWICE, which means no money for a mother’s day card or to eat on or for gas and etc.
And Chicago stuff.
And my job, which no one wanted to go in at 4 am so guess who drew the short straw there?
And it any of it falters, it becomes even more chaotic which I’m not a fan of confrontation as is so I have no want in dealing with bigger messes.
So, I haven’t a clue what to do. I can’t be human to keep this little system up. I know I screw up, and often at that, but perfection is demanded and I’m my worst critic, thus making life incredibly difficult.
Beginning of the end of me in some form or fashion.
Hey look, actual "unique" questions
- 1: Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed?
- 2: Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotel?
- 3: Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out?
- 4: Have you ever stolen a street sign before?
- 5: Do you like to use post-it notes?
- 6: Do you cut out coupons but then never use them?
- 7: Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of a bees?
- 8: Do you have freckles?
- 9: Do you always smile for pictures?
- 10: What is your biggest pet peeve?
- 11: Do you ever count your steps when you walk?
- 12: Have you ever peed in the woods?
- 13: What about pooped in the woods?
- 14: Do you ever dance even if theres no music playing?
- 15: Do you chew your pens and pencils?
- 16: How many people have you slept with this week?
- 17: What size is your bed?
- 18: What is your Song of the week?
- 19: Is it okay for guys to wear pink?
- 20: Do you still watch cartoons?
- 21: Whats your least favorite movie?
- 22: Where would you bury hidden treasure if you had some?
- 23: If you're a girl, bra size? If you're a guy, pants size?
- 24: What do you dip a chicken nugget in?
- 25: What is your favorite food?
- 26: What movies could you watch over and over and still love?
- 27: Last person you kissed/kissed you?
- 28: Were you ever a boy/girl scout?
- 29: Would you ever strip or pose nude in a magazine?
- 30: When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper?
- 31: Can you change the oil on a car?
- 32: Ever gotten a speeding ticket?
- 33: Ever ran out of gas?
- 34: Favorite kind of sandwich?
- 35: Best thing to eat for breakfast?
- 36: What is your usual bedtime?
- 37: Are you lazy?
- 38: When you were a kid, what did you dress up as for Halloween?
- 39: What is your Chinese astrological sign?
- 40: Are you horny?
- 41: Do you have any magazine subscriptions?
- 42: Which are better legos or lincoln logs?
- 43: Are you stubborn?
- 44: Who is better...Leno or Letterman?
- 45: Ever watch soap operas?
- 46: Are you afraid of heights?
- 47: Do you sing in the car?
- 48: Do you sing in the shower?
- 49: Do you dance in the car?
- 50: Ever used a gun?
- 51: Last time you got a portrait taken by a photographer?
- 52: Do you think musicals are cheesy?
- 53: Is Christmas stressful?
- 54: Ever eat a pierogi?
- 55: Favorite type of fruit pie?
- 56: Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid?
- 57: Do you believe in ghosts?
- 58: Ever have a Deja-vu feeling?
- 59: Take a vitamin daily?
- 60: Wear slippers?
- 61: Wear a bath robe?
- 62: What do you wear to bed?
- 63: First concert?
- 64: Wal-Mart, Target or Kmart?
- 65: Nike or Adidas?
- 66: Cheetos Or Fritos?
- 67: Peanuts or Sunflower seeds?
- 68: Ever hear of the group Tres Bien?
- 69: Ever take dance lessons?
- 70: Is there a profession you picture your future spouse doing?
- 71: Can you curl your tongue?
- 72: Ever won a spelling bee?
- 73: Have you ever cried because you were so happy?
- 74: Own any record albums?
- 75: Own a record player?
- 76: Regularly burn incense?
- 77: Ever been in love?
- 78: Who would you like to see in concert?
- 79: What was the last concert you saw?
- 80: Hot tea or cold tea?
- 81: Tea or coffee?
- 82: Sugar or snickerdoodles?
- 83: Can you swim well?
- 84: Can you hold your breath without holding your nose?
- 85: Are you patient?
- 86: DJ or band, at a wedding?
- 87: Ever won a contest?
- 88: Ever have plastic surgery?
- 89: Which are better black or green olives?
- 90: Can you knit or crochet?
- 91: Best room for a fireplace?
- 92: Do you want to get married?
- 93: If married, how long have you been married?
- 94: Who was your HS crush?
- 95: Do you cry and throw a fit until you get your own way?
- 96: Do you have kids?
- 97: Do you want kids?
- 98: Whats your favorite color?
- 99: Do you miss anyone right now?